Monday, September 03, 2007

and then there were five......

On this last long weekend of the summer, when people are sad about the season ending, I feel like everything is about to begin. My new life starts now. Well it started about a month ago, but I finally feel ready.

You see I was suppose to be getting ready for the hospital today. Labour Day how fitting. My twins were scheduled to be delivered via c-section tomorrow. But they had other plans. My water broke on July 29, yep just five days after I moved into my new house and my life has been a rollercoaster ride ever since. Here is the abbreviated version....

July 29 - 32 weeks pregnant and my water breaks at 5:30 a.m. I tiptoe downstairs past my sleeping inlaws to wake my husband who is sleeping in the basement. Triage here we labour so we wait. Later that day my Mom, Dad and sister fly in to visit me. I am so relieved to have them here.

July 29 - 31 - Hanging out on the 7th floor of Mt. Sinai, waiting for something to happen. Still no labour. My family keeps me entertained with regular visits between shopping trips. At least they look good and are having fun!

Aug. 1 10 a.m. - My Dad and sister decide to fly home. My sister is on vacation and has left her husband and son at my parents home. The nurses tell me if nothing happens in 48 hrs. of water breaking, I'm probably looking at another two weeks.

Aug. 1 - 11 a.m. - Baby "b's" heart rate is too high which indicates distress. Still no labour, but looks like it's showtime. We try and reach my Dad and sister before they get on the plane. No luck.

Aug. 1 - 2:23 and 2: 24 p.m. My boys are delivered via c-section just as my Dad and sister are landing in S.S.M. Everyone is healthy and happy. My husband and Mom were pros in the delivery room.

Aug. 4 - My Dad flies back and I get released from hospital.

Aug. 4 - 14 Travel back and forth to Mt. Sinai to feed babies.

Aug. 14 - Boys get transferred to Toronto East General Hospital. I was opting for St. Mike's where my daughter stayed, but no such luck.

Aug. 14 - 27 - Daily visits to TEGH to visit boys. Other than being in the middle of no where, this nursery is beautiful.

Aug. 28 - Sleep over at the hospital. A test run to see if I can feed them myself for 24 hours.

Aug. 29 - Welcome home.

Sept. 3 - As I walk back from the beach, I realise I missed summer completely this year.

Oh well here's to an exciting fall.


Lisa b said...

oh my...
I just thought you got busy. Maybe I should have guessed. Three of our friends have delivered twins early.
You are a NICU champ.
Since we both missed the summer I think we are due, at the very least, a nice fall.

Gabriella said...

Oh that's wonderful!!!! Hope you and the boys are doing well at home now! Congratulations!!

petite gourmand said...

yes- it will be an exciting new season ahead.

and yes...that was big daddy- re photo shoot.
small world.

are you off on mat leave now?

Lisa b said...

hows it going?
busy I see.
hope you are managing to enjoy the extended fall.

Kelly Malloy said...

Congrats on your 2 little guys!