Wednesday, October 18, 2006

one fine day

I rely on our car way too much. Before I had Gracie I took the ttc way more than I do now. Actually that's a lie, I never take the ttc these days. So yesterday morning when my husband took the car into the shop I was kinda at a loss. Lame I know.

I needed to get groceries, what if I need to go...um where? Where did I really need to go? What happened to walking? Now I take my daughter for walks all the time, but I rarely ever walk somewhere instead of driving. So yesterday we put an end to our gas guzzling, air polluting ways and walked everywhere.

So off we went, opting to take a new route. Wow, there are so many things to see in my neighbourhood. I was so inspired the time and effort people took in sprucing up their front porches. Who knew so many people paint their front doors yellow?

And really I have all I need within a two mile radius - grocery stores, organic grocer, coffee shops, drug store and lots of great little shops and restaurants. Hmm where should we go today.....

2 comments:

petite gourmand said...

I love walking everywhere.
I keep talking about getting rid of one car because we never drive it.
Bonus that we live within walking distance to everything.
and strollers really come in handy for carrying groceries etc.
mind you I might be singing a different tune come January when it's minus 20 degrees out..

Sandra said...

I drove for the first time in more than 10 years just a few years ago. I'd walk everywhere, especially when my son was a baby. THen we moved to the burbs adn the only place to walk to was the gas station ... and WHY would I walk to the gas station. So I started driving. Despite be back in the city with little need to drive, I find myself dependant on the car now. Thanks for this reminder ... out to go for a walk to the drugstore tonigth!