Thursday, October 26, 2006

walk this way

I had the best time Tuesday morning.

All bundled up, vanilla latte in hand, Gracie and I met the Moms in the City gang in the lobby of the Sheraton Centre for a walking tour. From there we made our way through the downtown core checking out the sky scrapers. It was so cool. I drive downtown all the time, but never get a chance to really take in the art deco design. Who knew there were so many interesting little nooks and crannies? I learned so much.

Picture this - a small group of strollers making our way through the hectic downtown sidewalks. I loved the contrast of us amongst the busy, stressed business men and women. I'm sure many of them are too focused on their cell phones and blackberries, rushing to meetings to notice the beauty of the lobby, ceiling or windows of their buildings. A few of them actually stopped to listen to our guide which was cool.

These walking tours have been the best "mother thing" other than blogging that I've done. I'm not much of a joiner. Actually no, I'm a lousy joiner. But Mom's in the City really have come up with a great activity for moms and their babies. It's so refreshing to do something adult with your baby.

At the beginning there is the small talk introduction,"how old is your little one, name, how do you like your stroller", but once the tour starts, there's very little baby talk. Not that there is anything wrong with baby talk but sometimes I get sick of the what's your baby doing, eating, sleeping conversations. That's the beauty of these tours. The guide is doing most of the talking about grownup things like design, architecture and history. Ahh, wonderful. I would do this tour even if I didn't have a baby.

Can't wait for the tour of Chinatown.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are excited for Chinatown too. Ahhh, the Trading Company.

Tracy said...

this sounds amazing... (i do so miss toronto sometimes...)

Pendullum said...

Good for you... To replenish the brain replenishes the soul...
I found that I was never a mommy joiner as well...
It is a hard balancing act to keep a hold of yourself as everything seems to be centred about being a mother...

metro mama said...

I've been thinking about doing one of these...thanks for the reminder!

petite gourmand said...

that sounds really fun.
were most of the babies under a year old?
I'm also not a big joiner, but that sounds like something I could totally get into (especially during the winter months)

myredwagon said...

petite gourmand - mostly 0-12 mts, but a few toddlers were in the mix, everyone is in a stroller

auntie lola - yippee, can't wait to see you guys!!!

moplans said...

ok I so have to get organised and check out the moms in the city. they seem to do so many cool activities.