Monday, November 20, 2006

nanny 911

I had a terrible sleep last night. And the night before and well ever since I came back from my parents house. Ahh I wish I was still there. Anyway the reason I'm not sleeping is STRESS. I have made the decision to go back to work. There I said it.

So now comes the gruelling task of deciding on childcare. It makes me tense up just typing childcare. Way back when Gracie was just a few months old I called a daycare and put her on a list. It was ridiculous. We had just visited friends and their new babe and they were told us about this great daycare, rated one of the top in the city that their daughter was going to. WHAATTT? So the stress started way back then.

Flash forward, I toured the daycare a few weeks ago. I must admit, it was lovely. Homey. Clean. Safe. And the owner was wonderful. But as nice as it was, it just didn't work for me. When she explained how scheduled the children were, I had made my decision. What if Gracie doesn't want to go play with blocks from 10 to 10:15 and go outside from 10 - 10:45? What if its a snowy day and she's feeling cozy and wants to read books all day? Or if she has lots of energy and wants to play at the park for an extra half hour? Why does she need a school-like or worse work-like schedule at 12 months? She is most likely spend the better part of her youth in school, so why start so soon. I don't want her to burn out by the time she hits grade one! Okay enough of my rant.....so daycare isn't for me. Enough said.

So option number two.....the nanny. I was once the women who said I would never leave my child with a nanny. Well I've changed my tune a bit. My husband and I are considering nanny sharing with our friends. The great, top rated daycare didn't work for them either. We thought we had it all figured out. A nanny was becoming available on our street. I had seen this women in the neighbourhood and thought it would be simple. Unfortunately the nanny just got a job as a nurse - great for her, bad for us. She did suggest her cousin, but the interview was disastrous. The cousin looked 12 and didn't even talk to the children. I could go on and on with the horrible details but it's too depressing. So after that episode, the four of us decided to get serious. We had a big chat about what we wanted, needed and basically what we wouldn't put up with.

Yesterday my husband, Gracie and I met two potential nannies. I must admit I was impressed. Both loved children, were kind and are eager to work. I feel a bit better about the process now. But boy is this difficult. I know new parents go through this all the time, but it's very nerve-wracking.

Any suggestions or personal stories are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

3 comments:

Her Bad Mother said...

I always thought that I would never hire a nanny, but, lo, we did. For many reasons, not least schedule...

And we love her.She comes three+ days each weeks and Wonderbaby adores her and it's worked out wonderfully. Not cheap, but worth every penny.

Tracy said...

childcare is the hardest decision ever. or at least until you have to consider where they will go to school! good luck. i think that the journey is different for everyone and all i can say is follow your heart. and don't be afraid to change your mind if things aren't the way you want them to be.

petite gourmand said...

oh poor you.
we went through this, and in the end I decided to not go back to work full time,
even though I really loved my career.
it's been a bit of a challenge, in so many ways, but so far it's working out pretty well.
I have a few other friends going through this same "agonizing" decision, and it's not easy.
I'm sure you will figure out the right thing to do, just trust your instincts.
In the mean time try to enjoy the time you do have and try not to stress out too much.
good luck.