Sunday, November 26, 2006

one year ago

Happy birthday W. J. One year ago today you had us all in a panic. You little trickster. We weren't expecting you until mid-January, but you had other plans. Big plans.

The day before you were born, your Mom wasn't feeling so good. We should have known something was up, but we missed all of your hints. I even told your Mom to go to the U2 concert. Good thing she didn't take my advice!

Gramma called early Saturday morning to tell us your Mom and Dad were at the hospital. She said you were on your way. I couldn't believe it. It was too early, way too early for you to come. She was worried. So was I. Even Uncle M. was nervous.

I called your Mom. I just needed to hear her voice and make sure she was okay. She was so brave. While she was talking to me she had a contraction. Wow, this was real, you were on your way.

After hearing that, I had to be there. So we hopped in the car. It was the quickest drive to Ottawa. We didn't speak. We didn't even listen to the radio. We just drove. There was snow and sleet and we couldn't even use our phone. Finally, just outside the city limits we got the news, you had arrived. Everyone was fine. Big sigh of relief. First we were relieved, then happy and then so excited to meet you.

I ran up to your Mom's room when we got to the hospital. I was a bit nervous, I didn't know what to expect. Your parents looked fabulous. I have never seen them look so happy. They were over the moon. Your Dad told me your Mom was great and that she made your delivery look easy.

They gave us all the details of your arrival. What was your big hurry bud? Only three pushes and you were out! Your Dad said you must have big plans because you were in such a rush to meet everyone.

Next it was time to meet you. The NCIU is a serious place W.J. Nurses, doctors, worried parents, lots of machines beeping and of course the tiniest, most special babies. But none as special as you. Your Dad pointed you out and we just stood there looking at you. We didn't even talk. I couldn't believe I was looking at my nephew. Finally a boy in our family! I was so proud, and full of love. Now W.J. you are the cutest, most handsome, beautiful boy but you were pretty banged up when we first met. Your body was all newish- pink but your head was purple. Yep purple. Good thing you were so adorable, that it didn't matter.

Before I left I told you, you were a luckiest, little boy because you had such a special Mom and Dad. They were already head over heals in love with you. And so was I.

I love you W.J.

No comments: