Saturday, March 31, 2007

great expectations

There are some things in this world you can count on....
I expect there will be traffic during rush hour,
I expect spring to follow winter,
I expect to get paid every two weeks,
but I was not expecting to become pregnant and let alone be expecting twins!

And I really wasn't expecting go back to work after a year long maternity leave pregnant. (Either was my boss - thank god he's such a good guy). These last three months have been quite unexpected. Now I know it sounds odd, when you hear that someone is surprised to learn they are pregnant. Was I taking any precautions not to get pregnant...well no, but still, who thought it would happen so fast? I sure didn't.

We wanted to have our children close together, that was the plan. But truthfully I'm not a planner, I'm a kinda a fly by the seat of my pants girl. Yeah, well those days are gone!!

So here's how we found out about our great expectations. I was just getting used to the fact that I was having another baby. And getting over the nausea and complete exhaustion. We were at an ultrasound appointment. My husband wasn't even going to come with me, but showed up at the last minute. There we were confidently sitting in the waiting room, looking at all the newly pregnant people, and thinking "they don't know what they're in for." We were calm. We'd been through all this before...old hat to us.

It was finally our turn for the ultrasound. No big deal. I'm lying there with my eyes closed, getting some rest. My husband is on his blackberry (bad I know). The technican asks me how I got pregnant. Ahh what? I stumble... I'm thinking the old fashioned way. She confirms my age and that I'm not on fertility drugs. We don't pay much attention. Then she makes reference to two babies, to the resident in the room. I agree thinking, "yes Gracie will still be a baby when the new one comes and so I will have two babies." Then she says, "No, I see two babies."

What??? This grabs our attention. My husband moves closer and says "check again." I can't speak.
"Yes, I'm seeing two babies. Twins"
I try to speak but I can't. I'm just stammering.
The resident asks what kind of car I drive.
"A volkswagen jetta."
"Not anymore," he laughs "You're getting a mini van."

The techician shows us the two babies and prints out some pictures. Yep, this is real. We are in shock. We go back to the waiting room in silence. No talking, just blank stares. A half hour ago, we were the confident couple now were are terrified.

That was eleven days ago. While I am no longer in shock, the news quite hasn't sunk in. Don't get me wrong I am not unhappy, just overwhlemed.

I was not expecting this.

5 comments:

moplans said...

In hindsight isn't so funny they were asking you all those questions and you didn't figure it out?
Ok maybe not. How could you have expected two?!

The car is going to be a big issue with three car seats. He might be right about the minivan.

My husband has the same crackberry issues. Drives me nuts.

Gabriella said...

I think I would've fainted on the spot. Like anything in life it'll be hard but you'll do an amazing job. Yes I know easy for me to say since I"m not the one having twins. My neighbour across the street had two children and decided to try for one more and had twins. But somehow she does alright.
It is exciting though!

kittenpie said...

Wow! That is some surprise! I shudder to think I just asked Misterpie the other day what would happen if there were twins on the second round - jokingly! Ack! You'll figure it out, we always do, but it can't be easy. Thank god we have ultrasound now so you have some time for planning, hey?

Gabriella said...

the green chocolate bar is a frosted mint from Laura Secord!

Betsy Mae said...

I'm not sure where you've been...if perhaps I've missed something!!
Congratulations to you...sorry this is so late. I hope everything is okay. You've been blessed twice as much I'd have to say, most people hope for a baby...you're lucky enough to receive two this time. You will manage as everyone does...I'm not trying to say it won't be tough...having a child is never easy, have two more at the same time will likely be challenging too. Good luck and I look forward to reading all about it!