Thursday, March 15, 2007

things I learned from my nanny

It's been forever since I've been here and so much has happened since my last post. Ah where do I begin? Well for starters Gracie is no longer a baby, she's a full fledged walking, babbling, getting into everything toddler. I can't believe she's 15 months old today. Yikes!

The biggest change is that I am now a working mom. That's kind of a silly term isn't it? I mean all mothers whether they've gone back to their jobs or not, work their asses off. In fact I think it was much harder being at home then going to work. But being at home with Gracie, as difficult as it was at times was so much more fun and way more important. Which brings me to the title of my post - all the things my nanny has taught me in the last 3 months.

First off I love my nanny. It was a fairly long process trying to find her, but she was well worth it. I was so concerned about having a stranger in my house and more importantly caring for my daughter. And so many people (mostly my nosy mother's group) all had very strong opinions about the nanny vs daycare. Personally I don't care what you choose for your child, if it's right for your family great. Anyway enough of that rant.

five things my nanny has taught me.....(or why I love my nanny)

1. mismatched socks, crazy-coloured outfits and even staying in pajamas all day can ma your kid look even cuter

2. It's okay to let people see the real you, you know the one that's late for a meeting, crabby with her husband

3. Kids are messy. Even people without kids are messy and it's okay if other people sometime see this.

4. You can't control everything. Perfectly behaved child throws temper trantrums at inopportune times, it happens.

5. My nanny knows how to roll with the punches, and has taught me this valuable lesson (well sort of according to my husband) I still have a long way to go.

3 comments:

petite gourmand said...

so glad your'e back!

Tracy said...

so good to hear you again!

kittenpie said...

Yep, it's true, some of the sanest moms I know are the relaxed ones. I've decided to let stuff go somewhat too. The other day, Pumpkinpie wanted to wear stripey and pants and a stripey shirt, so I decided to let it go - I put stripey undies on her too and called it stripes day. What the hell, right?