Saturday, September 16, 2006

cool girl

The cool girl. You know her. Stylish outfit with just the right accessories, perfect hair, (all effortless), smart, fun job ahh the list goes on and on.. Well on Thursday this girl was my dinner guest. I know, I know, why do I torture myself?

I've been meaning to get together with this gal for the longest time. We're from the same hometown, our mothers are friends, and I think she's cool. So dinner it was.

It seemed like a good idea at the time but then in the midst of getting ready with a busy 9 month old I started to lose it. Petite gourmand I was tempted to beg for your services, as I almost served sweet potato puree and baby mum mums.

At around 4pm I made the panic call to my sister. "I'm not ready...help!" She can always set me straight.

Clean house. Check. Fresh flowers. Check. Table set. Check. Good outfit. uuhh no, and no time so I settle for 7 jeans (no skinny jeans will not be making an appearance on this body anytime soon)

Ahh now to the cooking...risotto takes forever, or at least it seems to when you are trying to entertain a baby. Somehow I managed to pull it together at the last minute.

Okay so not only did she show up looking chic, but she was super nice and fun. We had a great time. She got us caught up on all the cool places in town and we laughed about the good old days when we knew the places. She had originally told us she had to leave by nine. But because we passed the test, and didn't bore the hell out of her, she stayed well past ten.

Even my husband had fun. As we were going to bed, I was reliving the conversation, and saying how cool I thought she was. And he said, "that used to be you."

Well not quite. Actually not even close. But it did make me smile. Maybe my daughter will be like her one day.

1 comment:

petite gourmand said...

I think you are "cool" for inviting a friend over with a nine month old underfoot while trying to cook risotto!
(which is no easy task)
because of the nature of my "job" people are often nervous to have me over for dinner.
I'm just thrilled to enjoy a glass of wine and an invite,
but if someone made risotto for me, I'd be over the moon.
I have several hip single downtown girlfriends and I used to fret over trying to stay "current" while being pretty absorbed in baby-world, but I found that my friends actually thought being a mom was really cool.
go figure?...