Thursday, September 28, 2006

thanksgiving dinner - help!

I'm hosting this year. Yikes, I'm way over my head, but super excited.

Every year I make the trek up north (and I don't mean to cottage country - though I did that one year and it was fabulous). I'm talking northern Ontario, where fall is picture-perfect, the air is clean and the people are warm. Ahhhh. Thanksgiving is my favourite weekend of the year.

This year we're mixing it up and spending the weekend in the city. I've never done this. We've invited my parents and my sister's family. My sister's family, I love the sound of that. My nephew, the the cutest boy I know, was born three weeks before my daughter. Oh and I'm sure R. the most beautiful golden retreiver in the world is coming too. So that makes five people and a dog visiting the three of us. Fun!

So I've got my work cut out for me. I just realized they will be here in a week and I've got a million things to do. Help!!! Where do I order a turkey? Am I too late? Petite gourmand, or anyone else that likes to entertain, do you have any fabulous suggestions to knock their socks off? Please help. I want this to be special.

Oh I may have bitten off more than I can chew......

3 comments:

metro mama said...

The good thing about hosting is you get all the leftovers.

I can't help in the food department - I just get a butterball.

Marscapone cheese is nice in the sweet potatoes.

Sandra said...

I am a lousy cook and a vegetarian so I can't help either.

We host Thanksgiving every year too (my brother does Christmas) and I get my husband to do all the cooking :)

petite gourmand said...

I'm in the process of figuring out what to make as well.
last year there was only 4 of us so I ended up ordering a Turkey breast from Whitehouse meats, and stuffing it.
I figured we didn't need an entire turkey.
it was pretty easy and looked really nice too.
If I come up with any great recipes I will forward them to you.
Martha Stewart Every Day Food has some pretty simple crowd pleasing recipes.
good luck!