Monday, September 04, 2006

ode to the sweatpant (well not quite)

I used to be a person who never wore sweatpants. I didn’t even own a pair. Okay wait let’s rephrase a bit to be completely honest. I had a pair of regulation (old fashion word – my Gramma always uses) grey drawstring sweats that I wore strictly for working out. But other than that forget it. I wasn’t one of these people in university that bummed around in sweats (in fact I think the girls on my floor wouldn’t be caught dead in them – but that’s a whole other post)

Sweatpants, jogging pants whatever you want to call them were just not a part of my wardrobe. That’s not to say I think I’m too good for sweatpants or that I don’t like them. My sister (gorgeous girl that she is) swears by sweatpants, in fact she would probably go to school in her pajamas. Come to think of it she has. But for some people it just works. I'm not one of them.


I like jeans. That’s as casual as I get, or well used to. You see that’s the problem. I have to admit that since I’ve had my daughter it’s been yoga pants (I still can’t admit to wearing something called sweatpants) pretty much non-stop. They’ve become a wardrobe staple. Now sure I’ve dressed them up the best I could … stylish lululemon numbers in all colours, but that’s a slippery slope because it soon evolved into joe fresh capri yoga pants. In fact my uniform this summer (I am ashamed to admit) has been black capri joe fresh yoga pants and a black tank layered over a white tank. Oh the horror!

But the absolute worst took place this August and I can just bring myself to talk about it now. My sister (yeah the pretty one who lives in sweats) sent me a pair of purple, cozy, drawstring, regulation (so not yoga pants at all), sweatpants from Roots. I loved them! I never took them off while visiting my in-laws at their cottage.

My only saving grace is that they haven’t made an appearance in the city yet. And I vow that they never will. I have even framed a beautiful, old, j. crew catalogue cover as inspiration.

So starting this week (I should have put this on my previous list – geez) I will buy some proper attire for fall and retire the sweatpants.

1 comment:

Sandra said...

I could never pull off sweatpants either.

But yoga pants ... so comfy ...